Updated: Sunday January 05, 2014/AlAhad Rabi' Awwal 04, 1435/Ravivara Pausa 15, 1935, at 04:21:46 PM
The Abolition of the Punishment of Whipping Act, 1996
ACT VII OF 1996
An Act to abolish and restrict the punishment of whipping
The following Act of Majlis-e-Shoora (Parliament) received the assent of the President on the 3rd April, 1996, and is hereby published for general information:---
Whereas it is expedient to abolish the punishment of whipping except in cases where such punishment is awarded as Hadd and for matters connected therewith and incidental thereto;
It is hereby enacted as follows:---
1. Short title, extent and commencement --- (I) This Act may be called the Abolition of the Punishment of Whipping Act, 1996.
(2) It extends to the
(3) It shall come into force at once.
2. Definition. ---In this Act, unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context, the expression “Hadd” means the punishment of crimes laid down in the Holy Qur’an and Sunnah.
3. Abolition of punishment of whipping. ---Except in cases where the punishment of whipping is provided for as Hadd, the sentence of whipping provided under any law, rule or regulation for the time being in force shall stand abolished:---
Provided that where, on the commencement of this Act, the sentence of whipping awarded by any Court or Tribunal has not been executed, such sentence of whipping shall stand remitted.
4. Repeal. ---The Whipping Act, 1909 (IV of 1909), is hereby repealed.