Updated: Saturday May 14, 2016/AsSabt Sha'ban 07, 1437/Sanivara Vaisakha 24, 1938, at 07:45:08 PM
The Chief Election Commissioner (Salary, Allowances and Privileges) Act, 1975
[21st July, 1975]
An Act to determine the salary, allowances and privileges of the Chief Election Commissioner.
WHEREAS it is expedient to determine the salary, allowances and privileges of the Chief Election Commissioner;
It is hereby enacted as follows:---
1. Short title and commencement. This Act may be called the Chief Election Commissioner (Salary, Allowances and Privileges) Act, 1975.
(2) It shall come into force at once.
2. Definition. In this Act, unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context,---
(a) “Commissioner” means the Chief Election Commissioner appointed under clause (1) of Article 213 of the Constitution; and
(b) “Constitution” means the Constitution of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan.
3. Salary, allowances and privileges. A Commissioner shall be entitled to the same salary, allowances and privileges as a Judge of the Supreme Court:
2[Provided that where the Commissioner has been a Chief Justice of Pakistan, he shall be entitled to the same salary, allowances and privileges as are admissible to Chief Justice of Pakistan.].
4. The Commissioner may, at his option, become a subscriber to the General Provident Fund and, if he so opts, shall subscribe to the Fund as a compulsory subscriber according to the General Provident Fund (Central Services) Rules.
5. Leave.—(1) A Commissioner who, within the period of seven days immediately preceding his appointment as such, was in the service of Pakistan shall carry with him in his said appointment the leave earned by him and standing to his credit while in such service and may be granted leave by the President under the rules applicable to him while in such service; and his service as Commissioner shall count for the grant of leave under the said rules.
1For Statement of Objects and Reasons, see Gaz. of P., 1975, Ext.. Pt. 111. p. 419.
2Subs. by Ord. 7 of 02, s.2, dated 16-1-02.
(2) A Commissioner who, within the period of seven days immediately preceding his appointment as such, was not in the service of Pakistan may be granted leave by the President as follows:---
(a) leave on leave salary equivalent to full pay at the rate of one eleventh of the period spent on duty;
(b) leave on leave salary equivalent to half pay at the rate of one eleventh of the period spent on duty, such leave being convertible into leave on full pay at the rate of two days of leave on half pay equal to one day's leave on full pay, if it is availed of on medical grounds; and
(c) extraordinary leave without pay or allowances for a period not exceeding three months during his full term of three years, subject to a maximum of two months at any one time, the Commissioner being entitled to combine such leave with any other kind of leave admissible to him.
6. [Repeal.] Omitted by the Federal Laws (Revision and Declaration) Ordinance, 1981 (XXVII of 1981), s. 3 and Sch., II.