Updated: Saturday May 21, 2016/AsSabt Sha'ban 14, 1437/Sanivara Vaisakha 31, 1938, at 07:34:17 PM
The Federal Supervision of Curricula, Textbooks and Maintenance of Standards of Education Act, 1976
1ACT No. X OF 1976
[29th March, 1976]
An Act to make provision for Federal supervision of curricula text-books and maintenance of standards of education.
WHEREAS it is necessary to provide for the building up of national cohesion by promoting social and cultural harmony, and designing curricula relevant to the nation's changing social and economic needs, compatible with the basic national ideology and providing massive shift from general education to more purposeful agro-technical education; and to make provision for Federal supervision of curricula, text-books for various classes and maintenance of standards of education;
It is hereby enacted as follows:---
1. Short title, extent and commencement. —(1) This Act may be called the Federal Supervision of Curricula, Text-books and Maintenance of Standards of Education Act, 1976.
(2) It extends to the whole
(3) It shall come into force at once.
2. Definitions. In this Act, unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context,---
(a) ”Competent Authority” means an authority appointed as such under section 3; and
(b) ”institution” means a school, college or university and includes such other educational establishment as the Federal Government may, by notification in the official Gazette, specify for the purpose of this clause.
3. Appointment and duties of Competent Authority.—(1)The Federal Government may, by notification in the official Gazette, appoint one or more Competent Authorities for carrying out the purposes of this Act.
(2) The Competent Authority may, for carrying out the purposes of this Act,---
(a) prepare or cause to be prepared schemes of studies, curricula, manuscripts of text-books and schedules or strategy for their introduction in various classes of an institution in connection with the implementation of the education policy of the Federal Government;
(b) approve manuscripts of text-books produced by other agencies before they are prescribed in various classes of an institution; and
1For Statement of Objects and Reasons, see Gaz. of P., 1975,. Ext., Pt. III, p. 694.
(c) direct any person or agency in writing to delete, amend or withdraw any portion, or the whole, of the curriculum, text-book or reference material prescribed for any class of an institution within a period specified in such directive.
(3) Action on the directive of the competent Authority under clause (c) of sub-section (2) shall be taken as soon as possible by the person or agency and an implementation report shall be submitted to the Competent Authority within such period as may be laid down in the directive.
4. Penalty. If the person, to whom or the person responsible for the conduct of the affairs of any agency to which, a directive has been issued under clause (c) of sub-section (2) of section 3 fails to carry it out, he shall be punishable with imprisonment for a term which may extend to one year and shall also be guilty of gross misconduct; and such agency may be superseded by order of the authority appointing or constituting it. .
5. Jurisdiction to try offences. No court shall take cognizance of an offence punishable under this Act except upon a complaint in writing made by the Competent Authority.
6. Indemnity. No suit, prosecution or other legal proceeding shall lie against any person for anything which is in good faith done or intended to be done in pursuance of this Act or any rule or order made thereunder.
7. Power to make rules. The Federal Government may, by notification in the official Gazette, make rules for carrying out the purposes of this Act.