Updated: Friday May 31, 2013/AlJumaa Rajab 22, 1434/Sukravara Jyaistha 10, 1935, at 06:30:56 PM
The Export Processing Zones Authority Ordinance, 1980
ORDINANCE No IV of 1980
[6th February, 1980]
An Ordinance to establish an Export Processing Zones Authority
WHEREAS it is expedient to establish an Export Processing Zones Authority for making all arrangements for the planning, development and management of the Zones and to provide for matters connected therewith or ancillary thereto;
AND WHEREAS the President is satisfied that circumstances exist which render it necessary to take immediate action;
Now, THEREFORE, in pursuance of the Proclamation of the fifth day of July, 1977, read with the Laws (Continuance in Force) Order, 1977 (C.M.L.A. Order No. 1 of 1977), and in exercise of all powers enabling him in that behalf, the President is pleased to make and promulgate the following Ordinance:--
1. Short title, extent and commencement.--(1) This Ordinance may be called the Financial Institutions (Recovery of Finances) Ordinance, 2001.
(2) it extends to the whole of
2. Definitions---In this Ordinance, unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context,---
3. Duty of a customer.--(1) It shall be the duty of a customer to fulfill his obligations to the financial institution.
(2) Where the customer defaults in the discharge of his obligation, he shall be liable to pay, for the period from the date of his default till realization of the cost of funds of the financial institution as certified by the State Bank of Pakistan from time to time, apart from such other civil and criminal liabilities that he may incur under the contract or rules or any other law for the time being in force.
(3) For purposes of this section a judgment against a customer under this Ordinance shall mean that he is in default of his duty under subsection (1), and the ensuing decree shall provide for payment of the cost of funds as determined under subsection (2).
4. Establishment of Authority-(1) There shall be established an Authority to be known as the Export Processing Zones Authority for carrying out the purposes of this Ordinance.
(2) The Authority shall be a, body corporate, having perpetual succession and a common seal, with power, subject to the provisions of this Ordinance, to acquire and hold property, both moveable and immovable, and shall by the said name sue and be sued.
5. Management: The general direction and administration of the Authority and its affairs shall vest in a Board.
6. Constitution of the Board (1) The Board shall consist of not more than nine members, including the Chairman to be appointed by the Federal Government.
(2) The Chairman and other members of the Board shall hold office during the pleasure of the Federal Government and unless sooner removed shall hold office for a period of three years.
(3) No act or proceeding of the Board shall be invalid merely on the ground of the existence of any vacancy in, or defect in the constitution of, the Board.
(4) The Chairman and each member of the Board shall receive such salaries and allowances or such fee as may be determined by the Federal Government in each case.
7. Duties and functions of Chairman and Members (1) The Chairman and members shall discharge such duties and perform such functions as are assigned to them under this Ordinance or by the Federal Government.
(2) Until the Board is duly constituted, the Chairman shall, subject to such directions as the Federal Government may, from time to time, give, exercise the powers, discharge the duties and perform the functions of the Board.
8. Headquarters of the Authority: The headquarters of the Authority
shall be situated at
9. Master plan and master programme: The Authority shall prepare a master plan and a phased master programme for the development of the Zones.
10. Preparation of schemes for Infrastructure: The Authority may, pursuant to the master plan, prepare schemes in respect of,---
11. Sanctioning of Industries, etc - (1) The Authority may, with the approval of the Federal Government, frame schemes and lay down procedure in respect of sanctioning the establishment and operation of industries in the Zones.
(2) Any industry sanctioned under sub-section (1) shall operate subject to such terms and conditions as may be enunciated in the letter of sanction issued by the Authority.
(3) The materials and manufactured goods shall not be exported from the Zones into the tariff area except to the extent and m the manner to be specified by the Authority in each case with the prior approval of the Federal Government.
12. Powers of the Authority--(1) Subject to the other provisions of this Ordinance and the rules, the Authority may take such measures and exercise such powers as may be necessary for carrying out the purposes of this Ordinance.
(2) In particular, and without prejudice to the generality of the powers conferred by sub-section (1), the Authority may,---
(i) incur any expenditure;
(ii) undertake any work in the Zones in pursuance of any scheme;
(iii) procure plants, machinery, instruments and material required for its use;
(iv) enter into and perform all such contracts as it may consider necessary;
(v) cause studies, surveys, experiments and technical research to be made or contribute towards the cost of any such studies, surveys, experiments or technical research;
(vi) restrict or prohibit by general or special order any change in the use of land and alteration in buildings and installations; and
(via) cause removal of any work obstructing the execution of any of its schemes.
13. Liability to acquisition: All land within the Zones shall be liable to acquisition at any time in accordance with the provisions of this Chapter.
15. Establishment-(1) The Authority may, from time
to time, appoint such officers, servants, experts or consultants as it may
consider necessary for the performance of its function.
16. Chairman member’s officers, etc., to be public servants The Chairman, members, officers, servants, experts and consultants of the Authority shall, when acting or purpose.
17. Indemnity: No suit, prosecution or other
legal proceeding shall lie against the Authority, the Chairman, any member,
officer, servant, expert, or consultant of the Authority in respect of anything
done or intended to be done in good faith under this Ordinance.
18. Delegation of powers The Authority may, by general or special order, delegate to the Chairman or a member or officer of the Authority any of its powers, duties or functions under this Ordinance, subject to such conditions as it may think fit to impose.
19. Authority Fund-(1) There shall be established a fund to be known as the Export Processing Zones Authority Fund which shall vest in the Authority and shall be utilized by the Authority, in accordance with the general or specific directions of the Federal Government to meet charges in connection with its functions under this Ordinance, including the payment of salaries and other remuneration to the Chairman, members, officers, servants, experts and consultants of the Authority.
(2) The Export Processing Zones Authority Fund shall consist of,---
(a) grants made by the Federal Government;
(b) loans obtained from Government;
(c) grants made by the local bodies;
(d) sale proceeds of moveable and immoveable property and receipts for services rendered;
(e) loans obtained by the Authority with the special or general sanction of the Federal Government;
(f) foreign aid and loans obtained
from any source outside
(g) all rates, taxes, fees, charges levied and fines imposed by the Authority under the regulations made under this Ordinance;
(h) all revenues derived by the Authority from any property administered by the Authority; and
(i) all other sums receivable by the Authority.
20. Authority to be deemed to be a
The Authority shall be deemed to be a local authority within the meaning of
the Local Authorities Loans Act, 1914. for the purpose.
21. Borrowing etc., by the Authority: The Authority may, with the prior approval in writing of the Federal Government, raise funds for the purpose of its working capital by issuing.
22. Budget: In the month of January each year, the Authority shall submit to the Federal Government for approval a statement of the estimated receipts and expenditure in respect of the next financial year in such manner and form as may be prescribed.
23. Audit and Accounts :-( 1) The accounts of the
Authority shall be audited every year by the Auditor-General of
(2) Copies of the audit report shall be sent to the Authority and the Authority shall send the report along with its comments to the Federal Government.
(3) The audit report shall be available for public inspection.
(4) The Federal Government may
issue directions to the Authority for the rectific ftfion of matters objected
to by the Auditor-General and the Authority shall comply with every such
24. Dispute to be referred to arbitration-(1) Any dispute relating to the interpretation of the provisions of any agreement made under any scheme prepared under section 10 between the Authority and an investor or the rights of the parties to such agreement or any rights conferred or any liability imposed by this Ordinance shall be referred for arbitration to an arbitrator appointed by the parties.
(2) Any award made upon such reference shall be final and binding on the parties and shall not be subject to any appeal or any other remedy.
(3) The provisions of the Arbitration Act, 1940 shall, so far as they can be made applicable, apply to arbitrations under sub-section (1).
25. Power to exempt - The Federal Government may, by
notification in the official Gazette, exempt any Zone from the operation of all
or any of the provisions of any law for the time being in force which relates
to any matter within the legislative competence of Parliament.
26. Power to make rules : The Federal Government may, by notification in the official Gazette, make ruled for carrying out the purposes of this Ordinance.
27. Power to make regulation :-(1) The Authority may, with the approval of the Federal Government, make regulations, not inconsistent with the provisions of this Ordinance or the rules, for carrying out the purposes of this Ordinance.
NATIONAL TARIFF COMMISSION
No. 1(10)/98/D-1/NTC—In exercise of the powers conferred under Rues 3, 6 and 10 of Safeguard Measures Rules, 2003, National Tariff Commission is pleased to fix the fee structure given in the schedule appended below:---
S. No. Description Fee
1. An application made under Clause (a) of Sub-section (1)of Section 7 of Safeguard Measures Ordinance, 2002 (the“ Ordinance”) Rs. 75,000/-
2. Copy of an application to an interested party under Section 11 of the Ordinance Rs. 10/- per page
3. Copies of documents placed in the public file under Section 15 of the Ordinance Rs. 10/- per page