Updated: Monday May 09, 2016/AlEthnien Sha'ban 02, 1437/Somavara Vaisakha 19, 1938, at 04:10:51 AM
The Publication of the Holy Quran (Elimination of Printing Errors) Act, 1973
1ACT NO LIV OF 1973
An Act to ensure publication of the text of the Holy Quran free from errors of printing.
WHEREAS it is expedient to ensure publication of the text of the Holy Quran free from errors of printing, and matters connected therewith;
It is hereby enacted as follows:---
1. Short title, extent and commencement.-(1) This Act may be called the Publication of the Holy Quran (Elimination of Printing 2[and Recording] Errors) Act, 1973.
(2) It extends to the whole
(3) It shall come into force at once.
2. Definitions. In this Act, unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context,---
3[(a) “Ayah” means a sentence, clause or verse of the Holy Quran at the end of which the sign “O” is given in the standard copy;
(aa) “Committee” means the Committee of Ulema appointed under section 4;]
(b) “Holy Quran” means the Holy Quran in the Arabic text, published in complete form, or the form of parts (paras) or Chapters (Surahs), but does not include extracts published in text-books or prayer-books or religious treaties;
(c) “prescribed” means prescribed by rules made under this Act;
(d) “publisher” means a person or an association of persons, registered under section 3 as publisher of the Holy Quran;
4[(dd) “record of the Holy Qur’an” means the Holy Qur’an recited in human voice and recorded by any modern means of recording conforming to the text thereof contained in the standard copy;
(ddd) “recording company” means a person, or an association of persons, registered under section 3 as a recording company;]
(e) “standard copy” means a copy of the Holy Quran authenticated by the Committee as correct and free from errors of printing.
1 For Statement Objects and Reasons, see Gaz. of P., 1973, Ext., Pt. III, p. 1188.
2 Ins. by the Publication of the Holy Quran (Elimination of Printing Errors) (Amdt.) Act, 1987 (10 of 1987), s. 2.
3 Subs. by the Publication of the Holy Quran (Elimination of Printing Errors) (Amdt.) Act, 1976 (38 of 1976), s. 2, for the original cl. (a).
* Not extended to
4 Ins. and subs. by the Publication of the Holy Quran (Elimination of Printing Errors) (Amdt.) Act, 1987 (10 of 1987), ss, 3 and 4.
3. Registration of publishers 1[and recording companies.]. Any publisher who intends to publish 1[and any recording company which intends to record, the Holy Qur’an shall get himself or itself] registered with the Auqaf Department of the Provincial Government within whose jurisdiction he is carrying on his business in such manner, on payment of such fee and on such terms and conditions as may be prescribed.
4. Committee of Ulema.___(1) The Federal Government shall appoint a Committee of Ulema comprising prominent Ulema, Huffaz and Qaris of all schools of thought amongst Muslims.
(2) The Federal Government shall cause a copy of the Holy Quran to be prepared and forward it to the Committee for authentication.
(3) After authentication by the Committee, the standard copy shall be kept in the Government archives for safe custody.
5. Publishing of Holy Quran.___(1) A publisher may print the Holy Quran in off-set, photostate, photo-block or any other modern system of printing but he shall not print it in litho process.
(2) In printing the Holy Quran, a publisher shall use paper the use of which is not prohibited by the Federal Government.
(3) Every publisher shall get his specimen copy 1[and every recording company shall get its specimen record,] of the Holy Quran compared with the text of the standard copy by a person holding a diploma from a religious institution or a certificate of Moulvi Fazil or a qualified Qari who is also a hafiz or a person trained in the job of proof reading in Arabic and have a certificate recorded by such person at the end to the effect that the text and references do not contain any error.
(4) The publisher shall ensure,---
(b) that the cover page of every edition of the Holy Quran clearly bears the name of the publisher, the name of the printing press, and the year of publication;
(c) that every page of the Holy Quran bears the indication given in the illustration in the Schedule; and
(d) that on detection of any error or omission in the printed Holy Quran the leaf on which it occurs is replaced by a fresh leaf free from such error and omission in each copy:---
Provided that he shall not be penalized for non-compliance with the provisions of paragraphs (a) and (c).
1Ins. by the Publication of the Holy Quran (Elimination of Printing Errors) (Amdt.) Act, 1987 (10 of 1987), s. 5.
2 Subs. by the Publication of the Holy Quran (Elimination of Printing Errors) (Amdt.) Act, 1976 (38 of 1976), s. 3, for “verse (Ayah)”.
(5) No translation of the Holy Quran shall be published 1[or recorded] without its Arabic text.
3(6) No record of the Holy Qur’an which injuries its sanctity in any form shall be prepared].
2[5A. Literal distortion of the text of Ayah. Where, in a copy 3[or record] of the Holy Quran or in any extract thereof published in a text-book, prayer-book, religious treatise or otherwise, an Ayah has been so literally distorted, either by change of a word, or of sequence, or of Aarab, as to alter its meaning, the printer or publisher thereof, 2[or, as the case may be, recording company], whether registered under this Act or not, shall, unless he 3[or it] can prove that such distortion occurred only due to a printing 2[or mechanical] error, be liable to the punishment provided for in section 6.]
3[5B. Translation or interpretation of the Holy Qur’an contrary to belief of Muslims. Where, in a copy or record of the Holy Qur’an, or in any extract thereof published in a text book, prayer book, religious treatise or other book, an Ayah of the Holy Qur’an is translated, interpreted or commented upon by a non Muslim contrary to the belief of Muslims, the author, printer or publisher, or the person who prepared the record, whether registered under this Act or not, shall unless, he can prove that such translation, interpretation or commentary occurred only due to a printing or mechanical error, be liable to the punishment provided for in section 6.].
6. Penalty.___4[(1) A printer or publisher who, or a recording company which, contravenes any provision of this Act or the rules made thereunder, or a person in whose voice a record is prepared, or a person who has certified, under sub-section (3) of section 5, a specimen copy, or record, of the Holy Qur’an which is not in conformity with the provisions of this Act shall be liable to imprisonment for a term which may extend to three years, or with fine amounting to not less than five thousand rupees, or with both.];
(2) The registration under section 3 of a publisher who, 5[or recording company which,] is convicted of an offence under sub-section (1) may be cancelled.
7. Offences by Corporation. If the person guilty of an offence under sub-section (1) of section 6 is a company or other body corporate, every director, manager, secretary or other officer thereof shall, unless he proves that the offence was committed without his knowledge or that he exercised all due diligence to prevent the commission thereof, be deemed to be guilty of such offence.
1 Added, by Act 10 of 1987, s. 5.
2New section 5A ins. by the Publication of the Holy Quran (Elimination of Printing Errors) (Amdt.) Act, 1976 (38 of 1976), s. 5.
3 Ins. by the Publication of the Holy Quran (Elimination of Printing Errors) (Amdt.) Act, 1987 (10 of 1987), ss. 6 and 7.
4 Subs. ibid., for sub-section (1), s. 8.
5 Ins. ibid.,
(2) In particular and without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing power, such rules may provide for,---
2[(a) the inspection of the copies and records of the Holy Qur’an printed or, as the case may be, prepared before the commencement of this Act;]
[See section 5(4) (c)]
Upper side of the page
Serial number if Surah Page number Serial number
With caption as with opening world as
Lower side of the page
Serial number of Surah Manzil Serial number of Surah with
With serial number of the concluding opening Ayah on the page as
Ayah on the page as
1 For the Holy Quran (Elimination of
Printing Errors) Rules, 1973, vide S.R.O., No. 1456 (I)/73, dated 9-10-1973,
see Gaz. of P. 1973, Ext., (
2 Subs. ins. and added by the Publication of the Holy Quran (Elimination of Printing Errors) (Amdt.) Act, 1987 (10 of 1987), s. 9, which was previously amended by Act 38 of 1976.
3 Subs. by the Publication of the Holy Quran (Elimination of Printing Errors) (Amdt.) Act, 1976 (38 of 1976), s. 5, for full stop.
4 New cls. (c) and (d) added ibid.