Updated: Thursday December 12, 2013/AlKhamis Safar 09, 1435/Bruhaspathivara Agrahayana 21, 1935, at 06:41:02 PM
(Pb. Act II of 1998)
Act to abolish land revenue in the Province of the
Preamble.— Whereas it is expedient to abolish land
revenue in the Province of the
It is hereby enacted as follows:---
1. Short title, extent and commencement.— (1) This Act may be called Punjab Land Revenue (Abolition) Act, 1998.
(2) It extends to the whole of the Province
(3) It shall come into force at once and shall be deemed to have taken effect on and from the date the Punjab Land Revenue (Abolition) Ordinance, 1997 (XXXI of 1997) stands repealed under Article 128 of the constitution of Islamic Republic of Pakistan.
2. Abolition of land revenue.— Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained in the Punjab Land Revenue Act, 1967 (XVII of 1967) or any other law for the time being in force, no land revenue, as defined in the Punjab Land Revenue Act, 1967 (XVII of 1967), shall be charged as from Rabi 1996-97 and where the same has already been assessed for the said harvest, it shall not be recovered.
3. Saving.— Nothing contained in this Act shall be construed to affect the liability of any person to pay the land revenue which had become due before Rabi 1996-97 or the assessment, charge and collection of the land revenue for the period before Rabi 1996-97 which shall continue to be done under the provisions of the Punjab Land Revenue Act, 1967 (XVII of 1967).
This Act was passed by the Punjab Assembly on 6th February, 1998; assented to by the Governor of the Punjab on 19th February, 1998; and, was published in the Punjab Gazette (Extraordinary), dated 24th February, 1998, page 197.