Updated: Saturday November 30, 2013/AsSabt Muharram 27, 1435/Sanivara Agrahayana 09, 1935, at 03:48:00 PM
(Pb Ord LIV of 1999)
Ordinance to provide for the suspension of the Local Council constituted under
(VI of 1979)
Preamble.— Whereas it is expedient to suspend the Local Councils constituted under the Punjab Local Government Ordinance 1979 (VI of 1979).
therefore pursuant to the instructions of the Chief Executive of Pakistan under
Article 4 of the Provisional Constitution (Amendment) Order No.9 of 1999 (Chief
Executive’s Order No.9 of 1999) the Governor of the
1. Short title and commencement.— (1) This Ordinance may be called the Punjab Suspension of Local Councils Ordinance 1999.
(2) It shall come into force at once.
2. Suspension of Local Councils.— (1) On the commencement of this Ordinance —
(i) all members of the Local Councils constituted under the Punjab Local Government Ordinance 1979 (VI of 1979) shall stand suspended; and
(ii) all office bearers holding any office on the basis of being a member of the Local Councils referred to in sub-clause (i) shall cease to hold office.
(2) All powers and functions of the Local Councils shall be exercised and performed by such persons or authorities as the Government may appoint in this behalf as Administrators.
(3) All funds and property belonging to the Local Councils shall during the period of suspension vest in the Government.
by the Governor of the