Updated: Sunday June 15, 2014/AlAhad Sha'ban 17, 1435/Ravivara Jyaistha 25, 1936, at 10:10:08 AM
The President’s Succession Order, 2001
CHIEF EXECUTIVE’S ORDER 3 OF 2001
An order to provide for succession to the office of the President
No.2-6/2001-Min. dated 20-6-2001. Whereas it is expedient to provide for succession to the office of the President of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan and for matters connected therewith or ancillary thereto;
Now, therefore, in pursuance of the Proclamation of Emergency of the fourteenth day of October, 1999, and the Provisional Constitution Order No. 1 of 1999, and in exercise of all power enabling him in that behalf, the Chief Executive of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan is pleased to make and promulgate the following Order:---
1. Short title, extent and commencement--- (1) This Order may be called the President’s Succession Order, 2001.
(2) It shall come into force at once.
2. This Order shall have effect notwithstanding anything contained in the Constitution or any other law.
3. (1) Upon the office of the President becoming vacant for any reason whatsoever, the Chief Executive of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan shall be the President of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan and shall perform all functions assigned to the President by or under the Constitution or by or under any law.
(2) The Chief Executive shall hold office as President until his successor enters upon his office.
(3) Before entering upon his office, the President shall make, before the Chief Justice of Pakistan, oath in the form set out in the Schedule.
4. (f) If the President, by reason of absence from Pakistan or any other cause, is unable to perform his functions, the Chief Justice of Pakistan or, if the Chief Justice of Pakistan is also absent from Pakistan, the most senior Judge of the Supreme Court shall perform the functions of President until the President returns to Pakistan, or as the case may be, resumes his function.
(2) Before entering upon his office, the Acting President shall make before the most senior Judge of the Supreme Court oath in the form set out in the Schedule.
[See Articles 3(4) and 4(2)]
I, _____________________________ do solemnly swear that I am a Muslim and believe in the Unity and Oneness of Allah Almighty, the Books of Allah, the Holy Qur’an being the last of them, the Prophethood of Muhammad (peace be upon him) as the last of the prophets and that there can be no Prophet after him, the day of Judgment, and all the requirements and teachings of the Holy Qur’an and Sunnah.
That I will
bear true faith and allegiance to
That, as President of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan, I will discharge my duties, and perform my functions, honestly to the best of my ability, faithfully, in accordance with law, the Proclamation of Emergency of the fourteenth day of October, 1999, the Provisional Constitution Order No. 1 of 1999, as amended, and always in the interest of the sovereignty, integrity, solidarity, well being and prosperity of Pakistan.
That I will
strive to preserve the Islamic Ideology which is the basis for the creation of
That I will not allow my personal interest to influence my official conduct or my official decisions.
That, in all circumstances, I will do right to all manner of people, according to law, without fear or favour, affection or ill-will.
And that I will not directly or indirectly communicate or reveal to any person any matter which shall be brought under my consideration or shall become known to me as President, except as may be required for the due discharge of my duties as President.
May Allah Almighty help and guide me (A’meen)!