Updated: Wednesday January 15, 2014/AlArbia'a Rabi' Awwal 14, 1435/Budhavara Pausa 25, 1935, at 09:01:57 PM
The Authority for Aiwan-e-Iqbal Ordinance, 1998
ORDINANCE VI OF 1998
An Ordinance to provide for the Establishment of Authority for Aiwan-e-Iqbal
No.F.2 (1)/98-Pub., dated 18-4-1998-----The following Ordinance made by the President is hereby published for general information:---
Whereas it is expedient to provide for the establishment of Authority for Aiwan-e-Iqbal and to provide for certain matters relating thereto and matters incidental or connected therewith;
And whereas the National Assembly is not in session and the President is satisfied that circumstances exist which render it necessary. to take immediate action;
Now, therefore, in exercise of the powers conferred by clause (1) of Article 89 of the Constitution of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan, the President is pleased to make and promulgate the following Ordinance, namely:---
1. Short title and commencement.--(1) This Ordinance may be called the Authority for Aiwan-e-Iqbal Ordinance, 1998.
(2) It shall come into force at once.
2. Definitions.--In this Ordinance, unless the context otherwise requires,---
(a) “Aiwan-e-Iqbal” means the Aiwan-e-Iqbal Complex,
(b) “Authority” means the Authority for Aiwan-e-Iqbal established under section 3;
(c) “Board” means the Board of Governors constitution under section 5;
(d) “Chairman” means Chairman of the Board;
(e) “Executive Committee” means the Executive Committee of the Board;
(f) “Government” means the Government of Pakistan;
(g) “member” means a member of the Board; and
(h) “regulations” means the regulations made under this Ordinance.
CONSTITUTION OF AUTHORITY FOR AIWAN-E-IQBAL
3. Constitution of the Authority.--(1) There shall be established an Authority to be known as the “Authority for Aiwan-e-Iqbal”.
(2) The Authority shall be a body corporate having perpetual succession and common seal, with power, subject to the provisions of this Ordinance, to acquire, hold and dispose of property, both movable and immovable, and shall by its name sue or to be sued.
4. Management of the Authority. ---The general directions and administration of the Authority and its affairs shall vest in the Board of Governors which may exercise all powers and do all acts and things which may be exercised or done by the Authority.
5. Constitution of the Board.--(1) The Board shall consist of a Chairman and so many other number of members as the Government may, from time to time, determine.
(2) The Chairman and the members shall be appointed by the Government.
(3) The Chairman, or a member other than an ex-officio members shall hold office for a term of three years and shall be eligible to be appointed for another term or terms or such shorter period as the Government make deem fit.
(4) The Chairman may, by writing under his hands address to the Government, resign his office.
(5) A member other than an ex-officio member may, by writing under his hands addressed to the Chairman, resign his office.
(6) A casual vacancy in the office of the Chairman or a member other than an ex-officio member, may be filled by appointing another person and such shall hold office for the unexpired period of the terms of his predecessor.
(7) No act or proceedings of the Board shall be invalid merely on the ground of the existence of any vacancy in, or in defect in the constitution of the Board.
6. Meetings.--(1) The Board shall meet at Aiwan-e-Iqbal Complex, Lahore, or such other place as it may deem appropriate and follow such rules and procedure in regard to the transaction of business as it may prescribed by regulations.
(2) The Chairman, and in his absence, any other member elected by the members present shall preside over the meeting of the Board.
(3) The decisions at the meeting of the Board shall be taken by a majority of the members present and voting.
(4) The quorum for a meeting shall be such as may be prescribed by regulations.
POWERS AND FUNCTIONS OF THE AUTHORITY
7. Functions of the Authority.--The following shall be the functions of the Authority, namely:---
(a) to manage, control and maintain Aiwan-e-Iqbal, and administer its affairs;
(b) to propagate the teachings of Allama Muhammad Iqbal;
(c) to spread Allama Muhammad Iqbal’s message of constant struggle for the glory of Islam and Muslim Ummah;
(d) to work for the revival of the spirit of Ijtehad as advocated by Allama Muhammad Iqbal;
(e) to promote study, research and scholarship of Allama Muhammad Iqbal’s thoughts and teachings; and
(f) to perform such other functions as are ancillary or incidental to any of the above functions.
8. Executive Committee.--(1) The Board shall be assisted by an Executive Committee comprising of such members not exceeding seven as may be appointed by the Government, from time to time.
(2) The Executive Committee may co-opt any person as its member for any specific purpose.
9. Functions of the Executive Committee. ------Subject to such general or special orders as the Board may, from time to time, give the Executive Committee shall exercise control over the administration, management and maintenance of the Aiwan-e-Iqbal Complex and perform all other functions of the Authority.
10. Delegation of powers. ----The Authority may, by general or special orders, and subject to such conditions and limitations as it may specify in the order, delegate to the Chairman, a member, or an officer of the Authority any of its powers, duties or functions under this Ordinance.
11. Officers and servants.-----The Board may, from time to time, appoint such officers, servants, experts and consultants as it may consider necessary for the efficient performance of the functions of the Authority on such terms and conditions as it may deem fit.
FINANCE, ACCOUNTS AND AUDIT
12. Finance, accounts and audit of Aiwan-e-Iqbal Fund.--(1) There shall be formed a fund to be known as the “Aiwan-e-Iqbal Fund” which shall vest in the Board and shall be utilized by the Board to meet the charges in connection with its functions under this Ordinance.
(2) To the credit of the Fund shall be placed,---
(a) the balance in the Iqbal Memorial Fund established under the Finance Division’s O.M. No.F4(1)/PF.V/77-2931, dated the 21st November, 1977, the Aiwan-e-Iqbal Maintenance Account and the Aiwan-e-Iqbal Library Account, Aiwan-e-Iqbal as on the coming into force of this Ordinance.
(b) grants made by the Federal and Provincial Governments and local authorities;
(c) donations including donations from foreign Governments;
(d) loans including loans obtained from any Government;
(e) sale proceeds of movable and immovable property and receipts for services rendered;
(f) rental income of any part of the premises of the Aiwan-e-lqbal and other properties vesting in the Authority; and
(g) hire charges accruing from the use of any part of the Aiwan-e-lqbal.
13. Books of accounts, etc. -----The Authority shall maintain complete and accurate books of accounts in respect of the Fund and other relevant records.
14. Audit.--(1) The accounts of the Authority shall be annually audited by an auditor who is a Chartered Accountant within the meaning of the Chartered Accountants Ordinance, 1961 (X of 1961), appointed by the Board.
(2) The accounts of the Authority shall also be
audited by the Auditor General of
15. Regulations.--The Board may, with the approval of the Government, make regulations to carry out the purposes of this Ordinance.