Updated: Friday January 06, 2012/AlJumaa Safar 12, 1433/Sukravara Pausa 16, 1933, at 06:17:04 PM
(Pb. Act II of 1999)
An Act to provide for the security of shops and establishments
Preamble.--- Whereas it is expedient to provide for the security of shops and establishments;
It is hereby enacted as follows:---
1. Short title and commencement.— (1) This Act may be called the Punjab Shops and Establishments (Security) Act 1999.
(2) It shall come into force at once.
2. Security of Establishments.— The Government may, by order, provide for the regulation of and enforcement of measures for the security of the property and persons connected with an Establishment.
Explanation.— In this Act, ‘Establishment’ includes,---
(i) a bank, a money changer or a financial institution; and
(ii) any office, firm, company, institution, industrial unit, undertaking, shop or premises which undertakes any business, trade, manufacture, calling, service, employment or occupation.
3. Penalties.— If any person contravenes any order made under this Act, he shall be punished with imprisonment which may extend to one month or with fine which may extend to fifteen thousand rupees or with both and if the offence continues, the Establishment may be kept sealed till such time the order is complied with.
4. Rules.— The Government may make rules to give effect to the provisions of this Act.
5. Repeal.— The Punjab Shops and Establishments (Security) Ordinance 1999 (II of 1999) is hereby repealed.
This Act was passed by the Punjab Assembly on 28th January, 1999; assented to by the Governor of the Punjab on 1st February, 1999; and, was published in the Punjab Gazette (Extraordinary), dated 4th February, 1999, page 263.